Requirements of a Relief Manager

As a resident manager unless you have reliable staff you rarely have time for a holiday.  A full time employee is entitled to 4 weeks annual leave per year however when you own your own business it is hard to find a suitable relief manager to step in and take on your building like it is their own.

The thought of utilising a relief manager scares a lot of RUMS.  In most occasions you will find the Resident Manager would prefer to have their work escalate and return from leave busier than ever than to have relief come in for a week and make things worse.  However you are not in a position to simply lock the office and leave the country for a week due to legislation and body corporate requirements.

Hiring relief does not have to be scary if you employ a specialised agency to source relief for you.

There are generally 3 types of Relief Managers.

1)      Relief that comes in and decides to change all your systems and procedures

2)      Relief that will answer the phone but does little more.

3)       The professional relief.

Part of my role as Director of Real Strategix is to find the ‘professional relief’.  A person might look great on paper, however, once they are in the role – they can often turn into a number 1 or a number 2 relief!

If you are sourcing your own relief there are a few things to consider.

Firstly you would like to see a resume and references.

Make sure you call EVERY reference whether it is permanent or relief and ask a little about their performance and if they were employed permanently, ask why they left.  If they were employed as relief ask if they would put them on permanently if a position was to arise. This obviously confirms if they were a good worker.

Insurance is something you must also consider.  All of Real Strategix temps & relief are covered by our Professional Indemnity Insurance which assures a lot of clients that we trust our relief’s ability.  Many relief managers will have their own public liability insurance however if they do not they may be covered through the Managers public liability insurance (make sure you make the phone call first to your insurance company before assigning a relief manager without suitable public liability insurance).

Relief  in QLD (Real Strategix only specialises In QLD relief so I cannot comment on specifics for other states) is allowed to be contracted to an agency for no longer than 30 days at a time unless suitable forms have been completed with the OFT (Form 11).  Even though you would obviously prefer a Relief Manager who has actually held current registration previously, this is not a requirement, the reason being that a ‘temp/relief’ is not employed under your workplace employment agreement so the registration certificate is void.  Real Strategix will not however have a relief manager appointed by us that has not held registration previously or worked in the industry for less than 10 years.

Relief is NOT allowed to perform the following duties of a registered Property Manager/RUM:

  • They cannot sign the following:    RTA forms, any Agreements and/or trust account receipts.
  • They cannot make a final decision on tenancy applications or major maintenance approval without obtaining approval from either the landlord affected, another employee or Body corporate.

You must also make sure that your body corporate and any other relevant parties are aware of your departure and aware that you have appointed relief and provide them with contact details.

If you would like any additional information or a quotation on employing a relief manager at your resort/complex please do not hesitate to contact me on

Lauren Kropp – Director – Real Strategix